About the Photographer
I graduated from Montserrat College of Art where I studied photography, illustration and graphic design and where I returned in the late 1980s to chair the Illustration Department for one year.
I have worked extensively as a graphic designer specializing in magazines — including stints as founding art director of Cook”s Illustrated and as art director during the redesign of The American Prospect.
Magazine work allowed me to work closely with many professional photographers and also vicariously kept my passion for black and white photography alive. After a very long gap, I continued my photographic art education through a Photography Atelier seminar at Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, and through course work at Lesley University, The Maine Photographic Workshops and The New England School of Photography. I am a member of the Photographic Resource Center at Boston University, The Center for Photography at Woodstock, The Texas Photographic Society and the Center for Fine Art Photography in Colorado.
More of my work can be seen at www.megbirnbaumphotography.com.
Juried into annual Tufts University Summer Exhibition, Somerville MA – Summer 2007.
15 Photographs exhibited at The Brush Gallery of Art in Lowell, MA for a show titled “The Winner’s Circle.” The show consisted of first, second and third place winners from the previous year’s member’s only competition. January 2007.
- Honorable Mention awarded by The Texas Photographic Society’s annual member’s only competition, February 2007.
- Accepted into the SoHo Photo 2007 Krappy Kamera Kompetition in NYC.
- Accepted into the 2007 Dia Invitational by The Center for Fine Art Photography. Exhibit is held at Denver, CO airport, Summer 2007.
- One photograph chosen for inclusion in “Photography Now.” The South Shore Art Center,
October 2006, juried by Henry Horenstein.
- One photograph chosen for inclusion in “Member’s Exhibition.” Center for Fine Art Photography,
Fort Collins, Colorado, October 2006.
- Solo exhibition at Belmont Gallery of Art, Belmont, MA, August – September 2006.
- Third prize awarded in the annual “Krappy Kamera” competition at SoHo Photo in NYC March 2006.
- Third prize awarded in “Members Only'” competition at Brush Gallery, Lowell, MA.
- One photograph chosen for inclusion in “Prospecting for Art: Found Objects and the Creative Process” exhibited at The Somerville Museum. October through December 2005.
- Third prize awarded in the photography category of the 50th Annual Art's Festival held at the South Shore Art Center, Cohasset, MA. June 2005.
- Five photographs chosen for inclusion in the national annual open competition at The Housatonic Museum of Art, Bridgeport, CT. June 2005.
- Photograph chosen for inclusion in “Members Only” competition of Texas Photographic Society, February 2005.
- Two works accepted into “Native Flora: Botanical Treasures” competition at The South Shore Art Center, Cohasset, MA. December 2004.
- Solo exhibition at The Newton Free Library, Newton, MA, December 2004.
- Juried photography competition at The Brush Gallery, Lowell MA. Two works selected,
one awarded third place prize. Nov. 2003 — Jan. 2004. Juror: Ron Rosenstock of Clark University.
- National juried all-media show at Fitton Center for Creative Arts, Hamilton, Ohio, Fall 2003.
$1,000.00 first place prize awarded in the fine art category.
- National juried all-media show sponsored by The Cambridge Artists Association, May-June 2003.
- Group exhibit at Radcliffe”s Schlesinger Library at Harvard University, June — September 2002.
Camera Arts Magazine, May/June 2006.
- Four photographs in the Fall 2005 issue of The Harvard Review.
- Meditech Corporation purchased five photographs for their corporate art collection. Fall 2006.
- Annual juried “Art of the Northwest”competition, Nicolet College, Rhinelander, WI.
The photograph was purchased by the college for their permanent collection.
- Invited by the Texas Photographic Society to be a part of their 2007 print program for higher membership incentive.